My Blog List

Writers Life

So this is the writers life. I am a college graduate looking for a way to get my writing out to the world. I want everyone to enjoy what I write, because I feel that my writing will affect someones life, in one way or another. My only problem is that I need to work on my grammar and mechanics, so please bear with me

Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

It's Hard Being Black

It’s Hard Being Black

By. Devin Owens

Oppression, Racism, the KKK

Nowadays that’s all my race has to say

Forgive don’t forget, because once it slips our minds

Then our climb would’ve been for nothing

But even today we’re still suffering

And no one ever stopped to think: It’s hard to be black

Matter of fact, did you know we’re three races in one

Light, medium, and dark, like you trying to adjust

The picture on a TV. Once my own race sees me

I’m not black; I’m yellow…since when was I a banana

But I try to stay mellow to the blissful ignorance.

In the work place I’ll get the last laugh

Though my skin color is the only thing they don’t look past

They don’t care if I can read or that I’m good at math

But that I’m light skinned and the closest they’ll get to a

Diverse white man, if you’re medium your chances

Are as slim as a push pin, and if you’re dark,

You can’t even get your foot in

We’re still looked down upon like everyone’s a giant

And we’re placed under the microscope in hopes

That we pass the test that’s omitted to the rest

Cool, cool, cool, guess MLK’s speech doest mean much

Because we’re still complaining on how much life sucks

And we’re stuck hoping someone will give a fuck

And extend their hands, looking past the years of

Stereotypes that are so ground in that bleach can’t remove it

Only hope that some day we’ll stop being stupid

And find outlets other than music, it’s not useless

I know it’s hard but we can still prove it

And at least on this we can agree

There is no bigger threat than a black person with a degree

Making real money, crossing out the minimum fee’s

Damn, sounds pretty good doesn’t it?

All that’s left is for us to start seeing it

Success, its hard being black, but I enjoy being it

No comments:

Post a Comment